Friday, October 14, 2005

Sharing Our Story

Jonathan Rauch, whom I met at Brookings, and who has been writing about gay marriage for quite some time (check out his excellent book here) wrote a piece about Michael's and my wedding. It's posted here.

Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish features a quote from the article here.

I have believed for some time that by sharing your story, you actually make it more real. From the response Michael and I have gotten so far, that's definitely true in our case. The love and support on our wedding day, and a new outpouring of responses from this article just keep reinforcing to us that we are part of a community and family that will support us throughout our relationship.

It's truly edifying. Thank you.

2 comments:

Scott Lybrand said...

Jamie,

Congrats on the wedding, and best wishes for your future. I'm glad you stopped by my website. You're welcome back anytime.

And I think you're right: telling your story is important.

Best,
GR

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the article. And congrats wedding and on the congrats from the President and First Lady. That is definately something to frame.

Yes, telling your story is very, very important. Perhaps, this is the most important thing in the struggle for equality for the LGBT community in the U.S.

As a married, straight guy, it was only though personal interaction with a gay friend, his partner, and with their personal stories that I was able to over come my bigotry. So long as the religious right and others keep feeding hate, telling only stories that will further this hate and promote discimination in the name of Christ, they will win among conservative Christians unless stories, like yours and Michael's, are heard.

I see from GR's site that you have roots in the Restoration movement. I too share these roots and still am apart of this movement. I'd be interesting to know more about your story with out churches.