Thursday, October 06, 2005

Gay Wedding Wishes from President and First Lady Bush

Michael was excited to send an invitation to the President and First Lady to attend our wedding. He thought it would be helpful for them if they saw a loving, caring gay couple who had decided to bond their lives together, to care for each other, and to support each other to be their best, both for each other and for society.

Unfortunately, President and Mrs. Bush weren't able to join us for the occasion, but they did take the time to send a very thoughtful, considerate card. Below is a picture of it.

I think if they would've come to the wedding, they would have been warmly embraced by both of our families. They would've seen one of my dearest friends, Caryn, raise her glass to toast, "to Michael and Jamie, who's friends have always been my friends, and who's family has always been my family." It would've been hard for them to leave without having a great time dancing with my brother-in-law, and without tearing up a bit when I choked up saying my vows.

It would've been hard for them to be there and feel like they were watching something bad or wrong. There was too much love.

I wish they would've come, but we were glad to get their card in abstentia.

1 comment:

Mark in DE said...

Amen! If they'd have been there, they would have left as different people.