Thursday, January 13, 2005

Someone Thinks I Sound Hot

Thank you to the anonymous commentor to my last posting. Please remember that as of today, exactly three people know that I have a blog. One of those people doesn't have the address. So, I have a pretty good idea of who you are.

This brings up the whole concept of anonimity on the internet. While it's possbile to lie, and undoubtedly some people do, the vast majority of my experience has been that when people are anonymous they are more honest. Sometimes it takes an extreme tone, but overall, it seems that the web is enables people to speak more directly.

The interesting part, of course, is that this happens even when the poster is obviously not anonymous. For example, people are quite honest in their blogs, even when their identities are known or knowable. Check here, here, or here (for an overview) for exapmles of people being fired form their real life jobs for blogging online.

I know I'm not covering new territory, as this has been covered elsewhere in more (and better) detail. My point, though, is that the aura of anonimity 'helps' people speak their mind in ways they wouldn't otherwise.

Personally, I try to always speak my mind. Hopefully as this blog evolves, the content will be the same as if we sat down and had us a nice long chat. Except, of course, that I'm talking a lot, and you're mostly just listening. Eventually, you'll probably tune me out.

This, however, would also mimic reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you sound like a nerd.

Anonymous said...

I reread your posting, not only do you sound HOT, you sound brilliant. I hope to MYIRL (meet you in real life)someday.